Thursday, September 30, 2010

In the Kitchen With..

Recently I had the extreme privilege to visit with Jeff Kraus from Truckin' Good Food as he let me sample one of his new products: a profiterole that is a twist on his sublime "My First Time" crêpe that he tells me is his favorite on the menu. I was familiar with several of the crêpes offered on the menu and was extremely eager to try what I understand to be part of a "secret' menu that will only be advertised on Twitter/Facebook

This particular profiterole uses a creme patissiere that incorporates roasted bananas, and a nutella powder! that Jeff himself creates using what I call weird science. I know, I know it's not all that weird, but leave me to my delusions! The idea is to take the original crêpe and transform it into something slightly different and unique in it's own right, while maintaining the incredible flavor profile that T'GF is known for. After having sampled several of these profiteroles, I can truly say they they are "Truckin' Good!"

I know you are asking yourself, "How good is the parisian style street food that Jeff puts out?"Well let me put it this way: Most businesses have fans, and some businesses have passionate fans, but Truckin' Good Food has their very own stalker. "A stalker?" you say, "Surely you cannot be serious!" Oh, but I am, and I think I will let Yvette Roeder explain why herself.

"He handed me a crepe with the juiciest ham, the stringiest cheese, and fresh spinach leaves and wowed me.What he didn’t realize is I become an avid (also to be read: rabid) supporter of anything (and anyone) that wows me.


I will sing praises about them, I will talk about them ‘til I’m blue in the face, I will profess to the “world” about my love for them…all because they wowed me.


Jeff and Truckin’ Good Food have done that to me. That’s why I stalk them; normally, people pay me to do that."


Hey, wipe that drool off of your face, yes you, ok, that's better.


After taking a few weeks off at the end of the summer to escape the heat, recharge the batteries and retool Mr T, as the truck is affectionately known as, Jeff and his lovely wife Erin (aka the brains of the operation) will be back out traveling the valley and hitting local meeting spots such as the various farmer's markets they are regular attendees of. In fact the official fall relaunch happens this weekend October 3rd at the Ahwatukee Farmer's Market (48th street and Warner)


For more info on the menu and appearances check out the T'GF website or to challenge Yvette in her role as Truckin' Good Stalker join her for Crepe Conference 2010!


(Normally I would have posted some kickass pictures of Jeff or Mr. T but in truth, I forgot to take some, and I'm not that person to rip off someone else's shots. All pictures on this blog are mine and mine alone.)


---UPDATE---

As I was writing this I received word that T'GF had been named in the Phoenix New Times as Best New Food Truck 2010


I would like to extend a huge congratulations to Jeff and Erin as well as all of this years winners who pour their heart and soul into what is truly a labor of love!

No comments:

Post a Comment