Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hash House a Go Go - The Back Story

When I decided to do a whirlwind trip to San Diego (leave Saturday morning, return Sunday afternoon), I solicited recommendations for a great place to go have brunch on Sunday and was told in no uncertain terms by Tony Morales and Erin Forney two people I highly respect, that I must visit Hash House a Go Go. I checked the website, forwarded the link to my wife and the couple we would be brunching with in San Diego, and properly salivating we made a plan.

So let's set the scene: Apparently, unbeknownst to me, the Hillcrest CityFest 2010 was happening on the same street as Hash and so not only were the streets blocked of and there were detours, but there was no parking for blocks around. So we circled the block, and finally found parking and while I was paying the meter, my wife went ahead to get us on the list. Once she did, she was told the wait was 45 minutes to an hour, which is to be expected of any decent place on a Sunday morning.

We were fortunate that the wait was only what it was, because as we waited we heard the wait grow to upwards of an hour and a half. So as we waited we fed the baby, and talked and people watched, and I noticed how helpful and efficient and unnerved by the ever growing crowd the staff at HH was. But as the wait became an hour and the baby started to become cranky, after all it was now after 11 and we had a 6 hour drive ahead of us.

Well about the time we were seated was about the time the baby's patience gave out and he remembered he was four months old and capable of ratcheting up the tension in any situation! He wanted a nap and he wanted one now and he didn't care who knew it. So now with all of the stress of the mini vacation, and the trying to get seated and the baby not being happy, and my blind determination to eat here, I made my final and largest mistake. Instead of going out on a limb and trying one of the more eclectic choices on the menu like Sage Fried Chicken Benedict or Rabbit Sausage, I settled for what was basically Pancakes and Eggs - The Tractor Driver Combo.

Why? A number of reasons but mostly being worried about an upset stomach in the middle of nowhere on the way back from California. So... like I said this meal was destined for failure because on top of everything else I was not confident in my food selection.

We now return to our regularly scheduled blog, already in progress...

(that means click here)

No comments:

Post a Comment